Lu Hui (style name Lianfu; sobriquets Juan’an, Pofo’an zhuren), a native of Wujiang, Jiangsu, originally was named Youkui. Good at calligraphy and painting, his specialties were landscapes and flowers. His calligraphy, also excellent, focused on Han clerical and Sui steles to find a balance between Northern and Southern manners. Appreciated by Wu Dacheng, Lu entered his home and viewed his rich collection, greatly improving his art. The Cuan Longyan Stele, engraved in 458, was acquired in the Daoguang reign (1820-1850) in Luliang County, Yunnan, by Yunnan-Guizhou Governor General Ruan Yuan. The calligraphy of the original is archaic and upright, the brushwork with many clerical elements. Lu’s excerpt reveals this archaic forceful manner.