Hsia Kuei was a native of Ch’ien-t’ang (modern Hangchow) and served as a Painter-in-Attendance during the reign of Emperor Ning-tsung (r. 1195-1224), being rewarded with the Golden Belt.
This work, donated to the Museum by Chang Ta-ch’ien, was painted in light colors. Two scholars sit chatting in leisure in a dwelling, while outside a groom lies sleeping. A visitor holding scrolls approaches on a mountain path. The magnificent, twisting pine in the foreground is done with bold brushwork, while the distant mountains and foreground slopes are all rendered with large axe-cut texture strokes. For this reason, this work appears to have been done by a painter of the Ming (1368-1644) in imitation of the Hsia Kuei style.