Li Kung-lin (style name Po-shih and sobriquet Lung-mien chu-shih) was a native of Shu-chou (modem Shu-ch’eng, Anhwei). A chin-shih civil service degree holder of the Hsi-ning era (1068-1077), he excelled at painting landscapes, figures, as well as horses.
In this painting, the river banks slope up towards curling mountain forms as a few thatched cottages stand at the water’s edge 1n the fore- and middleground. Fishermen appear angling from skiffs in the background as a scholar crosses a footbridge in front with a staff. The brushwork throughout is light and relaxed with fluid individual strokes. Although this painting bears neither seal nor signature of the artist, it has been traditionally attributed to Li Kung-lin. The style and brushwork, however, suggest the hand of a later painter and appears similar to works by the Eight Masters of Nanking from the early Ch’ing dynasty (1644-1911).